How to Keep Your Property Safe to Avoid a Lawsuit
Legal Help From a Legal Help From a Premises Liability Lawyer Los Angeles
Most individuals know if a person slips and falls on your property, whether it is a home, business, or any other type of property, you are a prime target for a lawsuit. Personal injury lawyers who specialize in premises liability cases handle these types of claims and represent victims who have been injured on another person’s property.
As a business owner, it is your responsibility to keep your premises safe to avoid injuries from happening. However, if you fail to ensure your property is free from hazardous risks and a visitor has been injured due poor maintenance, you could be held responsible for their injuries.
Many property owners and business owners are aware of the fact that they must keep their property safe for visitors. However, they are not completely aware of the extent of their responsibility. In this article, you will learn how to avoid becoming the target of a premises liability lawsuit.
Whether you rent or own a building to conduct business you are responsible for safeguarding employees, customers, vendors, or solicitors. In most premises’ liability lawsuits, tenants still take most of the burden when the property owner gets sued for negligence. Contractual rental agreements between the landlord and the renter usually have a clause that requires tenants to assume full responsibility when it comes to maintaining a safe property.
Types of Premises Liability Accidents
Many people associate premises liability cases solely with slip and fall accidents, but that is certainly not the only case. Although slip and fall accidents are the most common, there are several other types of premises liability cases that can occur, including:
- An assault between an employee or visitor
- Lack of warning signs for dangerous hazards
- Inadequate lighting
- Faulty equipment
- Exposed wiring
In essence, if you could have taken the necessary steps to prevent an injury from occurring, you will be held liable for the victim’s pain and suffering, lost wages from missed work, medical expenses, and more. Attempting to fight a premises liability lawsuit can negatively impact your business in several ways, including your business’s reputation.
Steps to Take to Keep Everyone Safe
Although accidents cannot always be avoided, there are ways one can minimize the risk of them from happening. Buying a basic commercial general liability insurance policy protects visitors, employees, and yourself. It can also save you thousands of dollars in the long run if and when an accident on your property occurs.
Once you get insurance, here are some important practices that you should regularly do to prevent injuries from happening:
- Inspect: It is important that you and your employees regularly and diligently inspect potentially unsafe conditions. Although this may seem like a tedious task, it is in your best interest to make sure that this is done so you can detect potential dangers before someone gets hurt and you are held liable for it.
- Correct: If there is an unsafe condition that is detected or suspected, you must fix it as soon as possible. You should also establish clear duties for your employees when they see a potentially dangerous condition. Try to fix it immediately and avoid any delays in doing so.
- Warn: If the unsafe condition cannot be corrected immediately, then you will need to do everything you can to warn employees and visitors. Display a warning sign or a “wet floor” sign so passersby can avoid the hazard until it is corrected.
Contact a Premises Liability Lawyer in Los Angeles
If you or someone you know has been injured in a premises liability accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. We understand that dealing with the repercussions of these types of cases are never easy, and it takes a knowledgeable and skilled LA premises liability attorney to get you the legal help you need.
At Gutierrez Law, you will have a property liability attorney in Los Angeles on your side from start to finish to get you the settlement you deserve to pay for your pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical expenses. Contact a personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles as soon as possible to preserve your rights.