Supermarket and Grocery Store Accidents
Common supermarket and grocery store accidents?
Supermarkets and grocery stores have a duty of care to ensure that their patrons are protected from hazards on the property. When someone gets hurt because a store fails to resolve dangerous conditions, they have every legal right to sue. A Los Angeles slip and fall lawsuit attorney is the best resource to help you bring a lawsuit for maximum compensation.
There are several hazards that could arise in a supermarket or grocery store setting. These may include:
- Wet surfaces
- Products that fall from not being shelved safely
- Uneven surfaces
- Failure to remove obstacles and debris
If an injury occurs because of something a store manager knew or should have known to be a potential risk, the store could be held liable.
What Should You Do If Injured in A Store?
If you were injured in a supermarket, you could do a few things to improve your chances of having a successful claim.
- Document the accident scene: take photographic evidence of the hazard, your injuries, and the location where the accident occurred
- Notify store personnel: make sure you inform store management of the accident and request that they make a written incident report.
- Identify any witnesses: Obtain contact information from bystanders who witnessed the accident or were aware of the hazard.
- Seek out immediate medical treatment: see a doctor as soon as possible. Medical professionals will provide you with proper treatment and will help document your injuries.
- Contact a slip and fall lawyer in Los Angeles: a lawyer will provide you with legal advice and can help preserve necessary evidence for your claim
How Does the Claims Process Work?
If there is sufficient evidence proving the grocery store was negligent in failing to protect you against the hazard, then you are entitled to recover compensation for your injuries. Most stores will have liability insurance should someone get hurt. In that circumstance, we’d file a claim with their insurance provider.
The claim will include a demand for a specific dollar amount. The amount that should be claimed depends upon the extent of your injuries and your particular circumstances. An attorney can help you determine what amount is reasonable to request.
After the insurance company receives the claim, they will either agree to settle for the amount claimed, offer a lesser amount, or deny liability. Slip and fall settlements usually begin with the insurance company denying liability or offering an amount less than what you have demanded. A personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles will negotiate with the insurance adjuster to reach a fair compromise under the circumstances. If the insurance adjuster refuses to offer a fair settlement and denies liability, you can pursue your claim through a lawsuit.
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help?
Personal injury claims can be complicated. Insurance adjusters frequently try to convince victims to settle for insufficient amounts. An experienced injury attorney is familiar with the insurance tactics and will know how to best respond. They will provide you with legal advice about ways to improve your chances of receiving a fair settlement.
At Gutierrez Law, our lawyers are here to be your advocate. We strive to make sure that you receive a settlement amount that covers your expenses and compensates you appropriately. By working with us you will have greater peace of mind and will be able to focus on your recovery. Your attorney will deal with the insurance company and will negotiate on your behalf.
Our slip and fall attorneys are experienced and have successfully represented many clients against supermarkets and grocery stores in California. We have helped many recover fair settlements. If you or a loved one have been injured in a store, contact us to learn more about your options.