December is the busiest time of the year. Wherever you go, it’s important to remain vigilant as you walk along the busy streets in LA. Our pedestrian accident lawyers list several safety tips to follow to help keep you and your family safe this winter. Whether an accident is minor or severe, it can still cost you thousands in medical expenses. We want to ensure you avoid them altogether. Should you face any legal concerns, you can schedule a free legal consultation at our firm.
A Guide to Safety for Pedestrians
- Refrain from walking on the road. When possible, stay on the sidewalk!
- Before crossing the street assume that the driver won’t stop even if you have the right-of-way. Make eye contact and wait until the moment is right.
- Always use a crosswalk, as jaywalking is illegal in California.
- Avoid talking, texting, wearing headphones, or using other electronics while crossing the street.
- Wear reflective and bright clothing if you’re taking a stroll at dawn, dusk, or night.
- Don’t walk directly behind or in front of any vehicle. Blind spots can increase your chance of injury or fatality.
What Can Drivers Do to Avoid Colliding into Someone?
A personal injury attorney would also recommend drivers follow these tips to avoid colliding with unsuspecting pedestrians. Because four-door vehicles are significantly larger than the average person, injuries tend to be more life-threatening.
- Abide by all traffic laws – yield to pedestrians when they’re crossing the street.
- When driving through a high-traffic area, always drive at a reduced and slower speed.
- Keep off of any phones or electronic devices! It increases the possibility of a pedestrian accident occurring.
- Pay attention to speed limits within the area. Depending on the location, an accident can cost one their license or penalty points.
- Make eye contact with someone to ensure there is no confusion about who will walk across the street.